Lincoln cause shock with last minute win over Burnley

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

FA Cup 5th Round

Burnley 0-1 Lincoln City

Raggett 89

National League side Lincoln City caused a major shock today by defeating Burnley in the FA Cup 5th Round. Sean Raggett was the hero for the Imps, heading home at the far post from a corner in the 89th minute to book their place in the Quarter Finals.

Lincoln started the game well- Nathan Arnold cut in the box from the right and put a good ball through to Muldoon who hit the ball over the bar five minutes in.

A lot of the first half was played in midfield however, and chances were often few and far between. Burnley’s first chance of the game came in the 22nd minute when Michael Keane headed wide from Arfield’s corner.

Five minutes later, Andre Gray looked to be through after a good ball from Joey Barton- but the striker could only hit the ball straight at Farman in the Lincoln goal.

Joey Barton had a good long range effort in the 39th minute from around thirty yards out, after the Lincoln defence failed to clear their lines, but again it didn’t really test Paul Farman.

Burnley came close again in added time, but Arfield could only hit the ball over the bar. It was goalless at half time, and it was clear that Lincoln had frustrated the home side.

Seven minutes into the second half, Burnley had their best chance of the game yet after a brilliant ball from Barton, but Gray could only hit the ball well wide of the mark.

Lincoln came reasonably close in the 68th minute, after a good ball into the box but Matt Rhead couldn’t quite connect with the cross.

Two minutes later, the away side had a penalty shout as Southwell went down in the box but it was ruled out. However, there was then an incident off the ball involving Joey Barton pushing a player to the ground. The midfielder was booked for an incident that some would argue should’ve been a sending off.

Ten minutes later, Burnley came very close to taking the lead as Lincoln began to tire. Darikwa worked really well on the right-hand side and he put in a good ball to Gray who didn’t capitalise on a big chance- miss-hitting the ball. The keeper did really well to keep out Westwood’s shot in the end however as the defence failed to clear the danger.

Bradley Wood put in a brilliant last ditch tackle to stop Boyd from going through and potentially taking the lead for Sean Dyche’s side in the 82nd minute, and three minutes later Gray looked threatening with a promising run but he gave the ball to Arfield- who could only hit the ball over the bar.

Whilst Burnley looked more likely to score- especially in the final ten minutes of the game- the opposite happened. Burnley failed to pick up Lincoln captain Luke Waterfall from the corner despite having all men back, meaning that the defender was able to head the ball across to Sean Raggett at the far post who headed in to take the lead for the underdogs and send the away fans into pandemonium.

The referee indicated that there would be five minutes of added time, and Burnley threw all men forward to try and get an equaliser whilst the visitors brought on an extra defender in Jamie McCombe.

Burnley keeper Tom Heaton came up for a corner in added time but it didn’t really come to anything, and the only real chance the hosts had in added time came when Gray had a shot blocked by keeper Paul Farman.

As a result of Lincoln’s victory they created history- becoming the first non-league side in 103 years to make the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup. This game will be remembered by Lincoln fans for a long time, whilst Burnley fans will want to forget about this as soon as possible..

Burnley: Heaton 7, Darikwa 8, Keane 7, Tarkowski 7, Flanagan 6, Gudmundsson n/a (Boyd 20), Westwood 6, Barton 7, Arfield 7, Gray 5, Vokes 5 (Barnes 73).

Sub ratings: Boyd 6, Barnes 6

Booked: Barton and Barnes

Subs not used: Robinson (GK), Lowton, Mee, Ward, Agyei.

Lincoln City: Farman 8, Wood 8, Waterfall 7, Raggett 7, Habergham 6, Arnold 9, Woodyard 8, Power 7, Hawkridge 7 (Ward 81), Muldoon 8 (Southwell 64), Rhead 8 (McCombe 90+1).

Sub ratings: Southwell 8, Ward n/a, McCombe n/a

Booked: Wood and Power

Subs not used: Marriott, Long, Walton, McMenemy.

Attendance: 19,185






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s