Shrimps end awful run with dominant victory over league leaders


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Sky Bet League 2

Morecambe 2-1 Plymouth Argyle

Rose 20 pen        Threlkeld 44

Murphy 63           Slew s/o 47

Morecambe ended a run of seven home games without a league win today with a morale boosting victory over league leaders Plymouth. Michael Rose took the lead for the Shrimps with a classy penalty in the 20th minute, before Oscar Threlkeld cancelled out the lead just before half time for the away side and then Morecambe captain Peter Murphy headed home from a corner to seal the victory for the home side.

The game was lively from the very start, with Cole Stockton having a shot straight at the Plymouth keeper within forty seconds of the game starting.

The away side had their first chance of the game just moments later with Jordan Slew hitting the ball just over the bar.

Graham Carey hit the ball just over the bar on the end of a fourth minute corner, but it was still too early to predict who was going to score first.

Ten minutes later however, it became very clear which team was going to score the opening goal of the game. Morecambe had five corners in the space of five minutes, all of which caused problems for the Plymouth defence. The third corner in that period made its way to Aaron Wilidg, who hit the ball perfectly only for his shot to be well saved by McCormick to his left in the 18th minute.

The fifth corner led to a goal. Cole Stockton was brought down in the box by Gary Miller soon after the corner was taken, and the referee awarded the Shrimps a penalty. Michael Rose, who took all the corners, stepped up and wrong-footed the visiting keeper slotting the ball in the bottom-right corner in the 20th minute.

The goal gave the home side a boost, with a number of chances being created but unfortunately they came to nothing. Cole Stockton hit the ball over the bar after a good ball from Kevin Ellison in the 23rd minute, before Aaron Wildig and Cole Stockton linked up well with some good passing but unfortunately for them Ellison wasn’t able to provide the finishing product.

Four minutes later, Morecambe had a massive chance that would’ve gone in 90% of the time. A great ball from the left-hand side found Rhys Turner, who hit the crossbar despite there being an open goal.

It was the away side that finished the half well, despite the home side’s dominance. Derek Adams’ side showed some great passing ability, but they didn’t find the finishing product in the 38th minute despite the build-up play looking promising.

Plymouth were back in the game just before half time. A good ball was played in from the right-hand side, and Shrimps keeper Roche came out of his area to try and collect the ball only for him to misjudge it and Oscar Threlkeld to head home into an empty goal unopposed. It was 1-1 at half time.

Morecambe had a corner early on in the second half, with Cole Stockton’s shot going wide on the end of it.

Just moments later, Plymouth had a shout for a penalty but it went completely against them. Jordan Slew was adjudged to have dived, and the referee sent him off for a second bookable offence.

The home side took advantage of the away side going down to ten men, and they very nearly scored ten minutes after the sending off. Kevin Ellison controlled the ball well, and his shot hit the post.

Six minutes later, Morecambe were back in front. Michael Rose took yet another brilliant corner, and Peter Murphy was able to head home from it to score his first goal of the season.

Moments later, the Shrimps should’ve had a third but Aaron Wildig could only head the ball onto the crossbar.

As Morecambe looked to put the game to bed, Cole Stockton found himself clean through on goal with a brilliant run only for his shot to be saved by the keeper to his right. Three minutes later, the Tranmere loanee headed home from a great ball by Jennings, but the goal was disallowed because of a push from the striker as he headed the ball.

Despite an open goal, Kevin Ellison somehow managed to fire the ball wide in the 74th minute.

Morecambe almost paid the price for their missed chances when the away side had a free kick in a threatening position. Luckily for the home side, Barry Roche was able to stop Jervis’ free kick with his legs and his stop had enough power on it to clear the ball away.

Burnley loanee Ntumba Massanka impressed for the home side when he came off the bench, and he came very close to scoring just before the death. His powerful shot from the right-hand side deflected off a defender before hitting the post and going out for a corner.

With five minutes added and the away side pushing for a late equaliser, Morecambe managed to withold the pressure by defending well securing a fully deserved and well worked for three points.

The victory means that the Shrimps move up to 17th position, whilst Plymouth drop off top spot. Up next for the Shrimps is Scunthorpe United away from home in the Checkatrade Trophy 2nd round, a week on Tuesday, whilst Plymouth face Newport in the FA Cup next weekend.

Morecambe: Roche, Wakefield, Winnard, Edwards, Jennings, Ellison (McGowan 90+4, Murphy (c), Rose, Turner (Massanka 84), Wildig (Mullin 82), Stockton.

Booked: Rose, Ellison, Wakefield

Subs not used: Nizic, Conlan, Molyneux, Jordan.

Plymouth Argyle: McCormick (c), Miller, Bulvitis (Osborne 75), Bradley, Threlkeld, Songo’o, Jervis (Tanner 88), Carey (Garita 72), Smith, Donaldson, Slew.

Booked: Donaldson and Slew

Sent off: Slew

Subs not used: Goodwillie, Rooney, Dorel, Fox.

Attendance: 1,435



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s