Dolly Blues’ FA Cup Run Ends With Defeat to Kidderminster

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

Lancaster City 2-3 Kidderminster Harriers
Connerton 24       Brown 22,49
Akrigg 45+1        Waite 52

Lancaster’s impressive FA Cup run was ended today by a strong Kidderminster side at Giant Axe today. Andre Brown opened the scoring for the away side 22 minutes in, before Connerton closed the deficit with a swift equaliser. Billy Akrigg scored a stunning goal just in injury time to put the Dolly Blues in front at half time, however second-half goals from Andre Brown and Tyrell Waite meant that it was the Harriers who progressed to the fourth qualifying round.

The game started with much of the battle coming in the midfield, so there were little chances in the first twenty minutes.

Kidderminster’s first chance came nine minutes in, when Elton N’Gwatala hit a hopeful shot over the bar. Twelve minutes later, the National League North side were in front. Lancaster failed to properly defend a corner, and consequently Andre Brown was able to slot home from close range.

The away side’s lead didn’t last long at all however, as just moments later Billy Akrigg found himself through on goal and he gave the ball to Jordan Connerton- who made a good supporting run- and the in-form striker was able to slot home from at the far post to put Phil Brown’s side back on level terms.

Ten minutes later, the home side could’ve taken the lead as Jacob Gregory found an opening on the right-hand side, but unfortunately there was no one making a supporting run to get on the end of his cross.

Kidderminster then had a spell where they looked much more likely to score, with Croasdale shooting straight at the keeper. One of the away side’s better chances came when James McQuilkin found himself one-on-one with Mike Hale, and the keeper was there to make a great save- preventing the rebound by turning and pushing the ball out for a corner.

Hale was forced into a save from Gnahoua five minutes later, the shot coming from long range and the keeper making a good diving save down to his right.

Despite Kidderminster’s domination, it was the home side that went in front at half time. Billy Akrigg tried his luck from around forty yards, and he was rewarded as his shot hit the crossbar and went in- sending the home fans wild. 2-1 was the half time score.

In the second half the away side really took the fight to Lancaster, and they were back on level terms within three minutes. McQuilkin made a good run on the left-hand side, and Andre Brown was there to slot home from the cross- scoring his second of the game.

Five minutes later, the side two leagues above City took the lead again. Tyrell Waite made a good run on the right-hand side and cut inside to blast the ball into the bottom-left hand corner, the shot proving to be to good for Mike Hale.

Kidderminster were fully in control of the game for the vast majority of the second half, and they could’ve had a fourth when substitute Sam Austin found himself clean through on goal, but his shot hit the post.

The game became very physical following this, and Lancaster tried to push for an equaliser in the last ten minutes but they didn’t really trouble the opposition defence, featuring the experienced Keith Lowe.

Lancaster’s man of the match Billy Akrigg had a shot over the bar in the 89th minute, and in the second out of five added minutes at the end of the game City had a shout for a penalty. Croasdale looked to have brought Akrigg down in the box, but the ref didn’t see it that way and play carried on.

The impressive James McQuilkin should’ve scored from close range to seal the victory in the third minute of added time, but his shot was saved by the legs of Mike Hale. Nonetheless Kidderminster got the win, and progress to the next round.

Lancaster City: Hale, Davis, Mercer(c), Westwood, Clark, Gregory (Waters 72), Akrigg, Sumner, Crolla (Wills 57), Mayers (McKenna 61), Connerton.

Subs not used: Thornley, Anderson, Henry, Russell.

Booked: Clark

Kidderminster Harriers: Hornby, Williams, Lowe(c), Tunnicliffe, Francis-Angol, Croasdale, Waite (Carter 73), McQuilkin, N’Gwatala (Austin 65), Gnahoua, Brown (Dieseruvwe 78).

Subs not used: Stamibolziev, Thomas, Palmer.

Booked: Brown

Attendance: 570





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s