Morecambe Thrashed Yet Again In Demoralising Defeat

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Morecambe 1-4 Stevenage

Stockton 20      Goodall 38 og, Parrett 45+1,71, Kennedy 86

Morecambe suffered yet another daunting defeat with a 4-1 loss to fellow League 2 strugglers Stevenage on Saturday, having previously been beaten 7-0 at Cambridge United on Tuesday night.

The game was very end to end in the first half with both sides creating chances and looking vulnerable at the back. Morecambe had the better of the first half chances, with Kevin Ellison coming close for the Shrimps in the seventh minute only for his shot to be saved by ex-Preston keeper Jamie Jones.

Eight minutes later Jim Bentley’s side had an excellent chance to open the scoring. Cole Stockton found himself in good space in the box, lobbing the keeper only for the ball to hit the crossbar and go out for a goal kick.

Morecambe went on to have a series of corners shortly after, and some of them were better than others. Chris Doyle had a shot from close range on the end of the corner in the 18th minute, but it was saved brilliantly by Jamie Jones in the Stevenage goal.

The Shrimps finally took the lead just moments later as youth-academy product Doyle nodded Devitt’s corner goalwards from 10 yards out, and Tranmere loanee Cole Stockton got the final touch to the ball with his head before it beat Jamie Jones.

The lead was almost short lived however as Stevenage hit Morecambe on the counter attack in the 23rd minute. Barry Roche had to keep out two shots, with one coming from captain Luke Wilkinson but luckily for Morecambe they managed to keep their lead and clear their lines.

Fifteen minutes after this scare, Stevenage managed to get back on level terms with some luck. Morecambe failed to defend a corner from the visitors and the ball came off Shrimps midfielder Alan Goodall and went in, so it was recorded as an own goal.

Soon after the equaliser, Morecambe were on the attack again with Aaron Wildig coming close and Adam Dugdale, who played for the first time since his injury, heading well over the bar from a corner.

Stevenage put themselves in a good position just before half time as they took the lead for the first time in the game. Jamie Jones quickly launched the ball forward after catching the ball at ease from Jamie Devitt’s free kick, and Greg Luer got past Shaun Beeley before squaring the ball to Dean Parrett who was able to slot home from close range without any opposition. The visitors went in leading 2-1 at half time.

Chances were few and far between after the break for Morecambe, who showed little energy or determination. The closest they came to equalising was in the 55th minute when Tom Barkhuizen found himself through on goal, but his shot went over the bar.

Stevenage extended their lead in the 71st minute through Dean Parrett, who scored his second goal of the game. The midfielder found himself in the box unmarked and he managed to retrieve the ball when it ricocheted off a Morecambe defender, and he beat Barry Roche, who was off his line, with a carefully placed shot in the bottom left-hand corner.

Morecambe never really put up much of a fight in their pursuit to get something out of this game, although Cole Stockton did come close in the 83rd minute.

Just four minutes later Stevenage scored the winning goal through Ben Kennedy. The forward slotted home comfortably to round off a good move, which started with a cracking long run by Tom Pett, who sailed past most of the Morecambe players at ease.

Stevenage could’ve even made it five in the dying moments of the game, but they failed to make the score line look even more embarrassing for their fellow League 2 counterparts.

Morecambe now sit in 21st and could even finish the 2015/16 campaign in 22nd if the results don’t go their way in their final two games of the season, which are against Exeter City and York City respectively.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (c) (McGowan 46), Dugdale, Doyle, Conlan (Molyneux 82), Goodall, Wildig (Oliver 76), Barkhuizen, Devitt, Ellison, Stockton.

Subs not used: Maher (GK), Kenyon, Edwards, Mullin.

Booked: Devitt and Wildig.

Stevenage: Jones, Henry, Wilkinson (c), Wells, Franks, Pett, Parrett (Gorman 81), Tonge, Kennedy, Luer (Lee 62), O’Connor (Conlon 19).

Subs not used: Day (GK), Okimo, Johnson, Adams.

Attendance: 1,129




One thought on “Morecambe Thrashed Yet Again In Demoralising Defeat

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s